Dependencies & System Requirements
The dependencies and requirements needed when configuring your Zmanda Backup Server and Zmanda Management Console
The following packages/dependencies are required on the ZMC and AE Servers before starting the installation. While some of these dependencies come pre-installed on any Linux operating system, others must be installed beforehand. You can use either yum or apt-get to install the necessary packages.
- 1.Basic Utilities/Libraries
- Bash 4.2+
- Glibc 2.17+
- zlib 1.2.2+
- Libgcc 4.8+
- Libstdc++ 4.8+
- 2.System Utilities [Systemd required]
- Cronie or Cronie-anacron or Cron with /usr/bin/crontab
- Libselinux 2.3+ (with SELinux not active)
- 3.Other Utilities
- Libexpat 2.1+
- Libmount 2.19+
- tar 1.26+
- samba-client-4.10+ / smbclient for DBN systems - (for CIFS disk access)
- Mailx 12.5+ or /bin/mail (for email notifications)
- gnuplot 4.6.2+
- xfsdump 3.1.7+
- VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit
- vSphere Command-Line Interface
The version of these packages should match the version of ESXi or Vcenter you are looking to back up.
- Mt-st 1.1+ (for tape operation - to be installed before the AE Server)
- mtx 1.3+
This page describes the environmental requirements you should verify before running the install program for Zmanda Management Console(ZMC) and Amanda Enterprise(AE) Server.
- Identify the Amanda backup server. The Amanda backup server should have access to the media (tape, disk, changers) where the Amanda client backups will be stored on tapes or the backup process is managed (in case of NDMP). Any Amanda client can also act as an Amanda server, and it is recommended that every Amanda server also be a backup client. In selecting your ZMC and Amanda backup server machine, keep in mind that the server might use a significant amount of memory during backup runs, and that it must have good network connectivity to all Amanda clients.
- Identify the systems/databases/applications/filesystems to be protected using Zmanda. The Amanda backup clients and the filesystems or directories to be backed up on each client will need to be specified during Amanda configuration.
ZMC and AE Server Requirements
ZMC and AE server performs various CPU, Memory, Network, and Disk intensive operations. While hardware requirements will vary based on your backup environment, we recommend a dedicated server or a virtual machine with at least 4GB of memory and a modern quad-core server-class CPU. The bandwidth of the network link between backup server and your network switch is also very critical. If network bonding is supported by your switch, we recommend providing a bonded connection to the backup server.
- 1.You should have at least 5 GB of disk space on the disk where ZMC and AE software is being installed.
- 2.The ZMC, AE server, and clients must have the latest service packs or updates to the distribution installed.
- 3.ZMC, AE server and clients cannot be installed on an NFS-mounted file systems. For example: You should not install the Amanda Enterprise or ZMC (/opt/zmanda/amanda) on an NFS partition.
- 4.In addition to the space required for the software itself, you should ensure that there is always 10% free space in the Zmanda installation and temporary directories, defined here. If ZMC or AE server runs out of space on either of these directories while a backup is in progress, the backup will fail. Also ZMC will print warning messages when there is insufficient disk space.
Zmanda Management Console (ZMC) Browser Requirements
The following browsers have been tested and verified to work with the Zmanda Management Console:
· Latest version of Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge and Opera