Zmanda Backup Appliance Installation
We use a .ova system image file to boot a VM with the backup server, and the ZMC control plane preconfigured. It's the quickest way to get started with Zmanda.
Zmanda Backup Appliance is a system image file with a preloaded Zmanda configuration. You can download the system image file from Network Zmanda and choose from 10+ base operating systems. In this installation process, the ZMC control plane and the backup server are configured to talk to each other without additional configuration.
Also, when scaling Zmanda across the enterprise, you can add multiple backup servers and control all the additional backup servers from the ZMC control plane installed via this setup.
To start the installation process, it is necessary to download the OVA files onto a system that is running VMware ESX 6.x or a later version and has a minimum disk space of 100GB. Here are the steps:
Network Zmanda download page
- 1.Log in to Network Zmanda from any browser of your choice, and click on the download icon from the side navigation.
- 2.Navigate to the Backup Server Appliance under the Enterprise Server section and select your preferred Linux OS from the dropdown.
- 3.The corresponding OVA file will appear on the right of the dropdown once you select an OS. Click on the OVA file to download it.
Network Zmanda downloads the installer from the nearest CDN server. To get the CDN link of the installer, you can copy the download URL from the browser.
Up next, you will create the virtual machine that will serve as your backup server.
- 1.Login to your VMware ESXi data center, through any browser of your choice.
- 2.Right-click on the virtual machines header on the side navigation bar to open the context menu.
Context menu in VMware ESX
3. Select Create/Register VM on the context menu.
4. Select Deploy a virtual machine from an OVF or OVA file under the Select creation type. Then, click Next.
Selecting creation method for the new VM
5. Enter a name for the VM in the field provided.
Entering the backup server name
6. You can click on the area titled “Click to select files or drag/drop”.
7. Navigate to where the OVA file is downloaded and select it. Then, click on Open to upload it to ESXi. Then, click Next.
8. Select the storage as needed
9. Specify the deployment options as needed. Say for example Disk provisioning as Thin/Thick, Networking mapping, and Power on automatically. Then, click Next.
If you receive a warning indicating, 'A required disk image was missing', please ignore it.
Finalizing the deployment option
10. Click the Finish button after reviewing the settings selection made.
11. You can observe the progress of the VM being created under the Recent Tasks section. Specifically, under the Results column.
The VM creation process can take anywhere between thirty minutes to one hour.
Overview screen in ESXi, indicating the successful creation of the server build.
- 12.Once the virtual machine is booted up, ssh into the machine with the following credentials and change the root password
passwd //command to change the root password
- 12.Reset the Zmanda Management Console (ZMC) admin user password by running the below command. When you are prompted for the username, input admin
Enter Username: admin
Enter the Password: <Your password here>
Retype the Password: <Retype your password>
length should be at least 8
Password should have at least one numeral
Password should have at least one uppercase letter
Password should have at least one lowercase letter
Password should have at least one of the symbols $,@,#,%,^,&,*,~
- 14.You can access the Zmanda Management Console (ZMC) from Firefox, Google Chrome, or Edge by entering the following into your browser.
https://<ip address of this virtual machine>:8008
- The hostname of the virtual machine is Backup-Appliance, and it will obtain an IP address using DHCP. Please make sure Backup-Appliance is added to the name server or resolvable using the /etc/hosts file.
- Set the timezone correctly by using the Set Timezone option in the Virtual machine console.
- Allow the ports 8008 and 8002 from the firewall for UI and AE server respectively.