How to back up Mac OS sources
Zmanda Mac OS X Client is a certified Amanda network backup software, tested and supported by Zmanda. This document has been prepared in conjunction with the Amanda Enterprise Edition 4.1 release.
Amanda Enterprise Edition Mac OS X Client packages are available from the Zmanda network download page. The list of supported Mac OS X versions is available in the compatibility matrix.
This document confers about the Amanda Enterprise Edition Mac OS X Client installation, configuration and verification procedures. Please refer to Amanda Enterprise Edition 4.1 ZMC User's Guide for information on how to install and configure the Amanda server. All Amanda Enterprise Edition features discussed in Amanda Enterprise Edition 4.1 ZMC User's Guide also applies to Mac OS X clients.
1. Amanda client for Mac OS X has three packages: Amanda pre-requisites, Amanda client and Amanda extensions.
3. You will need about 80 MB disk space for Amanda and pre-requisites package.
4. Please make sure the package architecture (PPC or x86) is appropriate for the Mac hardware architecture. Otherwise, the following error dialog will appear during installation.
5. The Amanda pre-requisites package contains all open source packages that are required for Amanda. Install the pre-requisites package (Double-click on the package).
6. After successful installation of pre-requisites, install Amanda Enterprise client (Double-click on the package).
7. It's good to have installer logs window open during installation (Click Mac Command key + L together). You will see the window as shown below. Use drop down box (Click Mac Command Key + 3 together) to see error logs. You can save logs in case of installation error.
8. Amanda Enterprise client includes a README file that provides information about client configuration (creation of amandabackup user, firewall changes and other customizations) as shown below.
9. The Amanda Enterprise Client installer provides an option to install an alternate location. This is not supported. Install Amanda Enterprise Client only in default location.
10. After installing Amanda Enterprise Client, Install Amanda Enterprise Extensions Client package (Double-Click on the package).
- Perform operations that are common to all Amanda clients :
-Updating index_server and tape_server to Amanda server in the /etc/amanda/amanda-client.conf configuration file.
-Add Amanda server to /var/lib/amanda/.amandahosts file
<Amanda Server> amandabackup amdump
- Assign a password to the amandabackup user that was created the client install. This user on the Mac OS X client can be used for command line operations.
You can add the Mac OS X file systems/folders to the backup set using Zmanda Management Console. Use the Sources page in the Zmanda management console to configure the Mac OSX client. You will need to specify the client name and the directories to back up. Amanda Enterprise does not cross file system boundaries and thus each file system/partition should be entered as its own entry (separate DLE object).
Extended Attributes under Advanced Options in the Sources page should not be selected for Mac OS X file systems. Extended attributes (such as Mac OS X resource forks) are backed up by default for Mac OS X and there is no option to turn it off.
If you are restoring to Mac OS X client which has Amanda Enterprise client installed, use Zmanda Management Console Restore Pages. The Restore What page explore window will display both resource forks and actual files in the window. The resource forks start with "._" characters. Both resource fork and the file name for complete file restoration including attributes.
Provide the Mac OS X machine where backups are being restored to in the Destination Host field in Restore Where page. Do not provide Destination User Name.
If you are restoring to a machine that does not have Amanda client installed, ssh will be used for restoration. An administrative user on Mac OS X is required for this method and must be provided in Destination User Name field in Restore Where page. The following screen shows how to create "zmanda-admin" Administrative user on Mac OS X. Rest of the restore process is similar.
The Amanda Enterprise 3.6 Mac OS X client is compatible with Amanda servers running Amanda Enterprise Edition 4.1.
Uninstalling client software
Mac OS X 10.5 or later
Use pkgutil to remove Amanda client packages
sudo pkgutil --forget com.zmanda.amanda_enterprise-backup_client
sudo pkgutil --forget com.zmanda.amanda_enterprise_extensions-client
Mac OS X 10.4
Uninstalling Amanda client software involves moving the software directory to Trash.
- 1.Delete or Drag /opt/zmanda/prereq folder to Trash.
- 2.Delete the package receipts in /Library/Receipts folder
Upgrading from Amanda Mac OS X clients (compiled on your own)
Successfully upgrading from a self-compiled version of the Amanda client to Amanda Enterprise Edition 4.1 depends on the compile-time configuration parameters. Some configuration changes may be required to compile and upgrade. Please contact [email protected] if you are interested in upgrading to the Amanda Enterprise 4.1 Mac OS X client.