A Comprehensive Guide on Zmanda Endpoint Backup Desktop Agent
The desktop agent interface of Zmanda Endpoint Backup allows users to have a clean and clutter-free desktop experience. The users can view the status and alerts through their desktop app. This guide will walk you through the interface and help you with installation to get the desktop agent running on your PCs.
There are two ways to get the desktop app on the employee’s computers.
- 1.Installation via MDM (Mobile Device Management) tool
- 2.Manual Installation
You can perform a silent installation of the Zmanda Endpoint Backup desktop agent on all the employee’s devices in the organization through the MDM tool.
Silent installation allows you to install the desktop application without any user interaction or interruptions. This means you can deploy the application smoothly across multiple devices with minimal effort.
To perform a silent install on all employee’s desktops at once, you need to execute the below command in the MDM tool.
“Zmanda Backup Installer.exe” /s
The argument /s stands for silent installation. Once the installation is done, the startup screen will be launched on the employee’s screen. The installation process won’t be visible to the employee.
To manually install the Zmanda Endpoint Backup desktop agent, follow the steps given below.
Step 2: Click on the Download for Windows button to download the desktop app.
Step 3: Click on the downloaded installer to start the installation process. As soon as the installation starts, you will see the ‘Getting your application ready’ screen.
It will be followed by the Downloading Update and Installing Zmanda screens.
After the desktop app is installed, your web browser will open, allowing you to sign in to your Endpoint account. Once you are signed in, a pop-up will appear asking you to open the Zmanda Endpoint application. Once this process is complete, backups will begin.
Next, you will see the welcome screen.
On successful login, you will see the Open Zmanda Backup button. Click on it to launch the app on your desktop.
If you are an IT admin or owner, you will see the Launch Dashboard button. You can click on it to launch Sentinel in your browser and start configuring backups.
However, if you are an end-user, you will see the ‘Welcome to Zmanda Endpoint’ message on your screen. You can minimize the window and open the app via the system tray to view backup progress and other important information.
Now, you can explore the app by opening the user interface from the system tray. The desktop application remembers the user session, so you don't have to log in again or lose your progress while switching between activities or tabs.
The app window contains the following options:
- Status: You can check the status of your backups in progress. If all the backups are completed, you will see Your backup is up-to-date in this tab.
- Alerts: In this tab, you'll find two sections - one for general alerts, covering scenarios like failed backups and access issues, and another for ransomware alerts, which detects and notifies you about ransomware threats during operations. These sections streamline notification management for efficient issue resolution and enhanced security.
Your backup process can be paused or may not initiate, and you'll receive Windows notifications in the following scenarios:
- Battery Saver: If you're in battery saver mode, you can resume by turning off battery saver mode.
- Network Connection: If you're not connected to the internet, you can resume the backup process once you're online.
- Subscription Expired: If your subscription has expired, renew it to continue the backup process.
- Storage: If you've exceeded your cloud storage limit or are running low, upgrade your storage.
- Ransomware: If our system detects a potential ransomware threat, you will receive a notification.
- Restore Completion: You'll receive a Windows notification after every successful file restoration.
- Sign In: If you are not signed in, click Sign In to start the backup process.
These Windows notifications ensure you stay informed and can take the necessary actions to maintain a smooth backup experience.
When you click on the user account icon in the app, you will see Account, Settings, Show Tour, Unlink Device, and Exit options.
The Account, Settings, and Show Tour options will take you to Zmanda Sentinel.
To log out of the application, you can click on the Unlink Device option.
Lastly, the Exit option will close the app on your PC.
You can now make the most of the Zmanda Endpoint Backup desktop agent.